All bands share typical lingo like "gig," "book," and "set list." But BBB has a few phrases and traditions of our own.
Chuck Beasley would always shout out “Traveling!” before he counted off a chart, giving the band a heads-up that we were about to start. “Traveling! One, two…” This tradition continues at the start of every song today.
If a band member blows a particularly impressive solo that totally impresses you, we tip them $1. A truly fantastic job could net the soloist upwards of 3 or 4 dollars!
Not so much a long tradition as one I’m trying to get started. Our band’s gear is hauled in a giant, white Chevy Suburban. Not only does the Moby Dick allusion fit, the great American novel offers a multitude of metaphors and similitudes that I can use.
Friends of Chuck
Chuck Beasley was passionate about music. He wanted a certain sound and he got that out of us. During rehearsals, Chuck's voice would rise above and call us to a halt to ask "What's the dynamic at D?" which usually meant we were playing much too loudly. So we'd pick it up at D again ("D, as in canine" or "E as in pachyderm") at work it until Chuck was happy.
BBB's musicians are busy people. Here are some of our moonlighting jobs, our favorite haunts, and our good friends.
- Minneapolis Cider Company - Our hosts the third Thursday of each month.
- The Chart House - Our hosts the first Monday of each month.
- TC Swing - Dance lessons with Terry and Cindy!
- Court's in Session - Courtney's (vocals) small group.
- MJO - Minnesota Jazz Orchestra - With whom we share many musicians, subs, and locals.
- Just Friends Big Band - BBB sub-extraordinaire Adam Bestler leads this 17 piece big band.
- Saints of Swing - Chris's (tenor sax) other band
- Rod Cerar - Chris's other-other band
- Hootenanny Brothers - Johnny-O's (guitar) folk music
- John & Dave - Johnny-O's other-other jazz / pop / country